Thursday, July 21, 2011

Day 0 / Anuj

3 hours. I can feel the excitement building up as I count down the minutes before we leave from Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport in Atlanta. Between the sense of hunger, urgency, and sleepiness, I can't help but feel a little calm. Maybe it stems from making overseas trips before, or maybe it is just because I am so tired my body won't respond.

So as I sit on my couch, waiting for the girls upstairs to finish their hour long process of getting ready, I want to contemplate about what I might expect on the trip there. Honestly, the first thing going through my mind is, "Hope Alex makes it." The group already hit a roadblock before the trip started after Alex had a biking trip and broke his collarbone. Luckily he can still go on the mission trip, but we as his friends, peers and mission group will make it one of our priorities to look after him and help in out in any way.

That aside, I start raking my mind about what I expect. Honestly, I don't know. I haven't been on mission trips before. I get a sense of unawareness on my part. I have never shied away from exclaiming that I want to make one of my life duties to serve. However, when one of the bigger moments of mine has arrived to serve, I feel a little lost.

I realize one thing that I think will be very important to me. It is the interactions. I want to be able to interact with people, see the world from their eyes, and witness a life and lifestyle that is not pampers by the lush and lavish lifestyles we all have in the United States. Dr. Grant gave us essay assignments and I decided to focus on the topic "The Elderly in Armenia and Georgia." After doing a bit of research, I learned about the dire situation of these elderly men and women, who are left with a destroyed pension after the fall of the Soviet Union and who are tossed onto the streets by their family. However, what I saw was only words, expressed to me over a screen that is my main outlet to the world. This mission trip will allow me to go through the screen and into the very source of the new. One of my goals is to get actual accounts from the elderly of Armenia and Georgia. I want to see first hand how these people live and survive. And finally, what do they want? What do they think they need to survive? How do they want their problem solved. After all, they are the ones who live their problems. Why shouldn't they have a say in what they believe the solutions are.

So finally the girls start coming down stairs with their gear. Time to eat and hit the road. Let the journey begin. Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment