Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Sevan, a Mustache, & Reflections So Far

Today marked the end of the second week of our trip - and it provided a wonderful break from our construction work with the Fuller Center. We travelled about an hour away from Vanadzor and spent the day swimming and grilling out at Lake Sevan. Along the way, we toured more old churches, rented paddle boats, got our fix of hairy Armenian men in speedos, bargained for souvenirs, and enjoyed each other's company. It was a chance to recharge for our final workdays here before we travel to Georgia later this week. The scenery was beautiful. The sun was hot. The food was good. The water was cold.

Tomorrow we will return to a nearby village for our second workday with the second family we've worked with in Armenia. By day's end we should finish pouring the cement for the floors inside the home. Just as was the case with the first family and our group, I think there is a great deal of mutual respect between us. They have welcomed us with open arms, and, though communication is difficult (smiles do the job adequately), it is obvious that they are humbled that we are willing to work beside them.

In other news, I decided several days into our trip that I would grow a mustache. After several days of not shaving in Poland and Yerevan, I decided to go for it. Dr. Grant has been calling me Rico Suave. It's goofy. It's ridiculous. But it's fun, and my hope is that it can help keep the mood of our group a bit lighter, providing comedic relief amidst our inevitable annoyance with each other. Even more, I find a bit of hoakie symbolism in it. As I grow personally throughout each day of this trip - experiencing cultural differences, being stretched emotionally and intellectually by problems and questions, and reforming my worldview little by little - my mustache is also growing a bit. It is, in a strange and possibly forced way, an outward sign of an inner metamorphosis.

A few reflections from our trip so far:

- Countless things seperate countries and people and regions and sects around the world, but one constant everywhere in the world is the joy of children. I speak for everyone when I say that I say that playing with the families' children on both of the Fuller worksites has been a blast. They make the work enjoyable and more rewarding because we know that we are playing a small role in ensuring a better future for them.

- The church is deeply rooted in Armenia, and the Armenians are very proud of their rich Christian heritage.

We've seen more than half a dozen churches already.

- Signs of the fall of the Soviet Union are still obvious here - especially in Vanadzor. An entire valley in the city is filled with the ruins of a chemical factory which stopped operation in the early 90's; it provides a constant reminder of the dire state of Armenia's economy.

- The people here are hearty and strong. They may not have a lot by our American materialistic standards but they enjoy life and maintain a distinct culture. Certainly there are problems here, and we can play a small role in providing our Armenian neighbors a "hand up," but we must be careful not to compare our American standard of living with theirs. I'm convinced that more is not always better.

- "To whom much is given, much is expected." This trip is providing me with a renewed perspective about how blessed I am, and it is challenging me to ponder my small role in a world full of problems.

Alex Lockwood

No comments:

Post a Comment